• /
  • /

New Horizons in Seaport Perimeter Security: Microavia Drones for Surveillance as a Key Element

In today's world of rapid global exchange and logistics, the security of port facilities is becoming a matter of paramount importance for the smooth running of the world's traffic flows. And in this rapidly changing security environment, innovative technologies are emerging that have the potential to revolutionize the approach to security. One such example is the use of Microavia's Drone-in-a-box solution to secure the perimeter of port facilities.

Seaports are vital to the global economy. Billions of tonnes of cargo are transported through ports every year. A PwC report claims that 90 percent of all global trade passes through just 39 narrow regions. If any one of these regions were to experience a major disruptive incident, a huge number of businesses would be affected. Use of innovative technologies such as security drones can reduce the likelihood of incidents and improve the effectiveness of safety measures at ports.

Large seaports often include large areas to accommodate and store containers and other cargo that is offloaded from ships. These large areas must be secured while ensuring the safe and efficient movement of goods. In addition, many seaports and their storage yards and warehouses are large and poorly lit, contributing to theft and property damage. The Port of Tianjin in northern China has 159 berths and covers an area of 336 km² of water surface and 131 km² of land. It is one of the largest seaports in the world. Jebel Ali Port in Dubai, UAE, has 67 berths and covers an area of 134.68 square kilometers (52.00 sq mi). It has the world's largest artificial harbor and is the largest seaport in the Middle East.

Ports often operate around the clock, which means that surveillance must be thorough and constant. All of this needs to be done without creating too many operational obstacles that can slow down the loading and unloading of cargo. Microavia's Drone-in-a-Box solution provides 24/7 continuous aerial perimeter surveillance.

Threats to port security are all designed to exploit easily crossed borders, multiple points of entry from land and lack of surveillance. Moreover, criminal activity is not limited to the waterside; many threats to ports occur in nearby waters and can have serious consequences when ships dock.
Why are more ports using drones?

Visibility: Drones provide a wide view of the port area due to their maneuverability and high flight speed.

Reactivity: When suspicious activity is detected, Drone-in-a-box provides an immediate response to potential threats.

Cost-effective: The use of drones in harbor security reduces personnel and equipment costs, cutting operational costs by 20-30%.

Drone-in-a-Box (DiB) is an innovative technology solution that revolutionizes the deployment and management of surveillance UAVs for various applications, including drone security and drone monitoring. Drone-in-a-Box provides incredible response to potential threats, while advanced real-time data technology ensures security services are alerted quickly and accurately.

Older methods of port security, including physical security and video surveillance, have their limitations. Only 15% of ports worldwide have continuous video surveillance. This leaves more than 85% of ports vulnerable to potential threats due to limited visibility and incident response. Integrating drones with other advanced security systems such as CCTV, motion sensors and facial recognition allows for a comprehensive defense structure that provides the highest level of security for port facilities.

The use of Drone-in-a-box to secure the perimeter of a port is an example of innovative technology that can change the security landscape and increase the level of protection for key facilities in the global economy. This is not just a security investment, but a strategic step to ensure the sustainability and efficiency of global trade flows.
Summary on maritime port security with a surveillance drones

  • Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)  are often more cost-effective than traditional security measures, and meet the challenge of hiring and maintaining a large security force or installing fixed surveillance systems.

  • UAS can provide real-time surveillance and data collection capabilities, enabling immediate threat detection, timely response and verification of potential false alarms.

  • Autonomous and continuous operations can cover expansive areas efficiently, making them well-suited for monitoring and protecting critical infrastructure spread over vast and remote areas.

  • UAS provide non-intrusive and discreet surveillance, allowing for covert monitoring without disturbing regular operations.

  • UAS can be deployed rapidly in emergency civil contingency and security threat situations, providing real-time situational awareness to first responders and security personnel.

Related news

Related news